- 1 Tablespoon Gum Dragon (Today you can obtain gum arabic or tragacanth)
- 1 Tablespoon Rose Water
- Rosemary Flowers
- Fine Sugar
- Steep the gum dragon in the rose water.
- Wet the Rosemary flowers in the solution.
- Lay the flowers out on paper and strew fine sugar over the flowers.
- Lay them out in the hot sun
- Turn the flowers and strew fine sugar on them until they are candied.
(Today you can use an oven set to low rather than having to allow them to sun dry.)
A Queens Delight: The Art of Preserving, Conserving and Candying. As also, A right Knowledge of making Perfumes, and Distilling the most Excellent Waters. LONDON. Printed by E. Tyler, and R. Holt. 1671.
“Take Gum-Dragon, and steep it in Rose-water, then take the Rosemary flowers, good coloured, and well pickt, and wet them in the water that your Gum dragon is steeped in, then take them out, and lay them upon a paper, and strew fine Sugar over them; this do in the hot sun, turning them, and strewing Sugar on them, till they are candied, and so keep them for your use”